Sunday, June 17, 2012

Camp Kitchi


My two week co-op placement was at Camp Kitchikewana (Kitchi for short).  I had an amazing time and am so glad that I chose to go there.  The staff at Kitchi were very welcoming and helpful which made us feel very safe to be there.   I  didn't realize how close you would get to them in such a short period of time but I am very glad I did.  I never thought in a million years that I could learn so much about myself in 2 weeks.  Every day there was a chance to learn new things with many opportunities to try them out;  like learning all about the proper way to canoe and kayak, even the ins and outs of kitchen duty.  While I was there I was mainly on canoeing, kayaking, land games, and campfire which mostly took up my whole day.   There was a variety of school groups who came which was cool because you got to meet many different people, from little kids to older kids from an alternative school.   There was such a range of of ages so it was very cool to interact with the younger and older kids.  I was mostly assigned to the younger kids which was fine with me; I loved entertaining and having fun with them.    I was responsible to sit with them at meal times and go around to all the different activities that they were involved in.  I was even given my own group of about 20 kids to do land games.  Now this was a challenge!    I didn't realize little kids could ask so many questions all at one time. We had the evenings to ourselves so we could just relax, watch movies, but usually we were so exhausted, we just stayed put.  I am very excited and happy to go back there when we go on our canoe trip, I cant wait!!!!!  It's such a great island with so much wildlife and things to do!  Get ready for some new camp songs!  
Lauren 


No comments:

Post a Comment